Students with permanent disabilities may receive funds through the Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities as part of their OSAP funding. In addition, grants are available through the Ontario Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) and the Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities to help with disability-related supports and services for students with permanent or temporary disabilities.
Students receiving aid from another province or territory should contact their province or territory to learn more about the disability-related programs that may be available.
For OSAP purposes, a “permanent disability” is a functional limitation that is:
- caused by a physical or mental impairment that restricts your ability to perform the daily activities necessary to participate in studies at a postsecondary level or in the labour force, and
- expected to remain with you for your expected life.
For OSAP purposes, “temporary disability” is defined as:
- a functional limitation that is caused by a physical or mental impairment that restricts your ability to perform the daily activities necessary to participate in studies at a postsecondary level or in the labour force, and
- that is NOT expected to remain with you for your expected natural life.
How to Access Financial Aid for Student with Disabilities
- Apply to OSAP and self-identify that you have a permanent disability.
- Meet with Accessibility Services on your campus. You must provide documentation to your Accessibility Services advisor that verifies your disability.
- Once you have your OSAP results, apply for the Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD)/Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities (CSG-PDSE), with the assistance of a U of T Accessibility Services advisor.
- Set up direct deposit on your ROSI/ACORN account to receive your BSWD/CSG-PDSE funds as a direct deposit in your bank account. You can track your payment by checking your fees account and looking for “BSWD” as the payment type.
Keep in mind that:
- You will be notified of your BSWD/CSG-PDSE application results by letter mailed to your ROSI/ACORN mailing address. Be sure that that your ROSI/ACORN mailing address is up to date and your U of T e-mail address is active.
- You will be provided with a BSWD Approval Date as part of your award. If you submit multiple applications during the school year, you will be assigned a BSWD Approval Date for each application or informed that your original date still applies.
- You must provide receipts to Enrolment Services to show you spent your funding towards recommended services and supports.
BSWD/CSG-PDSE Application Deadline
- 60 days before the end of your OSAP-defined study period.
- You can determine the dates of your OSAP-defined study period by checking your OSAP account on the OSAP website at http://osap.gov.on.ca
BSWD/CSG-PDSE Receipt Information, Instructions and Deadlines
- Receipts are processed in date order. Processing will take between four to six weeks.
- Receipts for items or services that are not recommended will not be considered.
- Hard copy original receipts are required. Clear photocopies will be considered. Keep the original receipts for your records.
- If receipts aren’t provided and/or you don’t use all of the funds provided to you in your study period, you must return the un-receipted/unused funding if the total amount is more than $20. Failure to do so may result in your restriction from further OSAP funding, including the 30% Off Ontario Tuition Grant, and/or BSWD/CSG-PDSE funding.
- Repayments must be made as a money order, certified cheque or bank draft made payable to the University of Toronto and submitted to Enrolment Services. Be sure that your name and student number are clearly indicated on the repayment.
- If you change your courses from those listed on the estimates you provided to Accessibility Services, you must consult with your Accessibility Services advisor.
Instructions for Equipment, Software & All Other Items
Hard copy original receipts are required. Clear photocopies will be considered.
The receipts must:
- Be attached to the Receipt summary for equipment, software & all other items (PDF) and submit to Enrolment Services no later than 30 days after you receive your BSWD/CSG-PDSE funding.
- Be dated within the same OSAP study period in which you receive the BSWD/CSG-PDSE funding;
- Clearly show the vendor’s name, address, and contact information, items purchased, amount paid and method of payment.
- If the purchase price for a recommended item is greater than the recommended amount, the expense will be capped at the recommended amount.
- If the purchase price for a recommended item is less than the recommended amount, you cannot transfer this underspending towards another recommended item.
- If you completely withdraw from your studies, your receipts must be dated prior to the date of withdrawal.
- If you reduce your course load below the minimum required level to maintain eligibility for your primary source of funding (e.g. OSAP for Full-Time Students requires students with permanent disabilities to maintain a 40% course load), your receipts must be dated prior to this date of course load reduction.
Receipts For Services
You must use the appropriate Receipts for Services form to account for BSWD/CSG-PDSE funding:
Specialized Transportation: Taxi Receipt Log (PDF)
All other services (e.g. tutoring, coaching): Services Timelog and Service Receipt Form (PDF). Note: If your BSWD/CSG-PDSE application recommended tutoring for individual courses, you must provide a separate timelog and receipt form for EACH course. You cannot group them together on one set of forms.
Receipts must be submitted to Enrolment Services according to the following deadlines.
|BSWD/CSG-PDSE Service Funding Received In:||Expense Time Period for Services on Application||Deadline|
|Fall term||Fall & Winter terms||End of fall term.|
|Winter term||Fall & Winter terms||End of winter term|
|Fall term||Fall term only||End of fall term|
|Winter term||Winter term only||End of winter term|
|Summer term||Summer term only||End of summer term|
- The service amount paid is determined by your BSWD Approval Date (i.e., date from which your receipts are considered to account for your BSWD/CSG-PDSE funding).
- Receipts for the fall portion of a recommended service will be used to determine the winter term portion. If you have unused funds from the fall service payment, you may carry them forward to the winter term if your application indicates service coverage for both terms.
- If the service amount you require for the winter term is less than anticipated, please include with your Receipt for Services form a signed letter stating the revised amount, including any unused funds, you will require. If the service amount is greater than anticipated, submit an additional BSWD/CSG-PDSE application through Accessibility Services before the application deadline.
- Reimbursement of services paid by you before your BSWD Approval Date is not an automatic process and considered only when you submit receipts. These receipts should be submitted to Enrolment Services after you receive notification of your BSWD Approval Date during your study period.
- If you completely withdraw from your studies, only service receipts dated prior to the date of withdrawal can be considered to account for bursary funding.
- If you reduce your course load below the minimum required level to maintain eligibility for your primary source of funding (e.g. Full-Time OSAP requires students with permanent disabilities maintain a 40% course load), only receipts up to the date of this course drop can be considered to account for bursary funding.
- If you drop particular courses but still maintain the minimum course load required by your primary source of funding, only receipts up to the date of the course drop will be considered to account for bursary funding linked to specific courses.
Contact Enrolment Services
University of Toronto
172 St. George Street
We are located on the west side of St. George Street, just north of the intersection of St. George Street and Bloor Street West. The closest subway stop is St. George Station.
Drop-in hours: (no appointment necessary)
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday: 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Email: email@example.com (For reasons of security we DO NOT respond by email to questions about current applications for Admission or Financial Aid.)
Contact the Accessibility Service Advisors on your Campus
Accessibility Services advisors on each campus can provide information and assist with certain applications
Students with financial need who are not eligible for government funding for their disability-related educational expenses, or are not eligible for funding for all of their accommodations, can apply to the University for consideration of their needs.