Use the U of T Summer OSAP Extension Application if you received full-time OSAP at the University of Toronto in the 2017-18 academic year and are requesting additional OSAP funding to study for the summer. This is replacing the paper application that we offered in previous years.
Before you proceed to the application, make sure that you meet the course load requirements.
For undergraduate students the course load requirements are:
- If you will be in school from May-August you must enrol in and pass at least 1.5 credits (1.0 for students with documented permanent disabilities)
- If you will be in school for just May-June or just July-August, you must enrol in and pass at least 1.0 credits (0.5 for students with documented permanent disabilities
Students in lower course loads should apply for Part-Time OSAP for the summer term. The part-time application can be accessed from the OSAP website.
For graduate students, you must have full-time registration status or Confirmation From Your Coordinator that you will be in a 60% course load (or 40% if you have a documented permanent disability).
For graduate students in a Theology program, you must submit a Theology Addendum form with your OSAP application.
If you did not receive full-time OSAP at U of T in the 2017-18 academic year, submit an application for May-August funding at the OSAP website. Students who didn't receive 2017-18 OSAP funding at U of T are only eligible for full-time OSAP if they will be enrolled full-time from May-August.
Going on Exchange?
Students taking a CIE Exchange for the summer must meet the same course load requirements as students studying on campus: If you are studying for the whole summer you must be receiving at least 1.5 credits (1.0 for students with permanent disabilities). If you are studying for half the summer, you typically need to receive at least 1.0 credits (0.5 for students with permanent disabilities). When you submit your Summer OSAP application, you also will need to provide an Exchange Cover Sheet and proof of your study dates.
Not sure if your program qualifies? Contact Enrolment Services for help.
Summer tuition fee deferral: See the Student Accounts Website for information about your division's registration or deferral deadlines. For best results, submit your Summer OSAP Extension application on or before March 31, 2018 (recommneded deadline). Follow the directions on ACORN to request a fee deferral after your summer invoice appears in mid-April.
Final summer OSAP application deadlines:
- May-June extension: May 17, 2018
- May-August or July-August extension: July 9, 2018
- May-August application on the OSAP website: June 19, 2018
- UTM Deadlines: See Registrar's Website
- Other applications: 40 days before the end of your summer study period
Applications submitted after these deadlines will not be processed.
Check your status
Once you have submitted your application, check your account at the OSAP website for assessment details starting in late April. Processing time is 4-6 weeks. If you submitted your Summer OSAP Extension application by March 31 and you are eligible for funding, you can expect to receive this within the first two weeks of your summer term. You will receive notifications from OSAP either on paper or on the OSAP message centre (depending on your preferences) when there are updates.
Receiving Your Funding
A few days before the start of your classes, OSAP will ask U of T to confirm your enrolment. You must be registered in the required course load, and you must have a status of "Registered" in the 2018 summer session on ACORN. Registration means that you've either made the minimum payment, or have received a fee deferral. Students who applied by March 31 should receive their funding within the first two weeks of classes. The University of Toronto does not redirect OSAP funding for outstanding tuition amounts, all of your funding will go into your bank account. Immediately after you receive OSAP funding, you are responsible for paying your fees. If you’re ineligible for OSAP, you must start paying your fees when you receive notification of your OSAP ineligibility/refusal.
OSAP Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements
In order to maintain eligibility for future OSAP funding, students are required to stay enrolled in and pass the minimum course load. Failure to complete the minimum required course load can result in an OSAP academic probation or ineligibility for future OSAP funding.
Need to make changes to your application information?
You will be able to make changes to a saved Summer OSAP Extension Application until you submit your application. After your application is submitted, changes to your summer plans or circumstances must be provided to Enrolment Services with a notification in writing.
- For changes to your income, please provide a signed letter indicating the new total income for the summer study period, and indicate the source of the income (e.g. employment, scholarship)
- If you want to change your study period (for example, changing from May-June to May-August), please provide a signed letter indicating:
- Your new intended study period
- How many classes you plan on taking
- Your expected income for the entire summer study period
Where to submit your changes (by mail or in person):
- St. George campus: Enrolment Services, 172 St. George St
- Mississauga campus: UTM Registrar's office, Room 1235, Innovation Complex, 3359 Mississauga Road
- Scarborough campus: UTSC Registrar's office, Arts & Administration Building, Room AA142, 1265 Military Trail